Correctional Officer Positions
How to Become a Correctional Officer
- You must be at least nineteen years of age in order to apply for a position at the Hampshire Sheriff's Office, as well as successfully possessing a minimum of a high school diploma at the time of application. A Bachelor of Science degree in Criminal Justice or a related field is highly preferable.
- Anyone that successfully passes the written examination will be invited back to participate in the physical fitness examination. The requirements for passing the physical fitness examination at the forty-firth percentile, which is the minimum requirements for entry to the Correctional Officer Academy, can be found below.
- Anyone that passes the PT Test will then go through a background investigation and reference check. Those candidates passing this portion will be invited back for a 1st Round Interview.
- Typically the candidate pool with then be narrowed down after first round interviews prior to second round interviews being scheduled. Final candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug/health screening prior to hire.
- If hired, employees are required to successfully complete all portions of the Correctional Officer Training Academy within twelve months of hire.
** Written Examinations are posted on the MassCareers website